Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jonah Gregory's Baptism

Jonah was baptized today and it was a profound service. Early this morning Karen Muyskens, a member of the Church, died after a week-long struggle with a mysterious infection which came on very suddenly. So poignant, this telescoping of the beginning and end of the Christian life into the same, hour-long frame. Utterly heartbreaking and then mysteriously comforting in the same breath.

Jack preached on John 15: 1-11 which is Jesus' image of himself as a vine. I don't know if this was intentionally written to tie in with the baptism, but Jack's description of entrance into the Christian life as analagous to when a branch is grafted onto a vine, which does not always seem to take, was both beautiful and bittersweet.

We were worried because Jonah didn't get his morning nap in, but he was well-disposed and cute nonetheless. During the baptism itself, Anneke, who was somewhat worried about this whole thing on Jonah's behalf, whispered excitedly to her Mom, "He's yiking it!"

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

Hi Kevin, this is random, I know... but I was trying to figure out if I had Marie's latest information (without resorting to calling her parents) to get back in touch -- and I ran across your blog. I think you guys have moved into your new place so I don't have your address. Can you (or Marie) email me your new contact info, phone, all that good stuff to leeann.oneill@gmail.com?

Anyway, I hope 2008 is a healthy one and tell Marie I'm thinking of her... Happy Baptism Day!

Signing out,
LeeAnn from Washington DC-land